- About Us
- Organic Meats
- Our Locations
A perfectly roast goose: the iconic centerpiece of a traditional British Christmas dinner. Slow-roasting one of our pasture-raised, certified organic Emden geese will yield not only a stunning main dish for any holiday spread, but you’ll also create plenty of beautiful rendered goose fat, or schmaltz, a delicious alternative to butter or oil that’s worth its weight in gold.
1 goose, 7-9 lbs
Fresh cracked black pepper
3 1/2 Tbsp softened butter (not melted)
1/2 cup of your favourite ale or lager, or white wine, or chicken broth, or water
1) Preheat the oven to 395F (200C).
2) Rinse the bird, inside and out. Thoroughly pat dry with paper towels, inside and out. Season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, inside and out. Brush skin with butter.
3) Place the bird breast side down in an appropriate sized roasting pan.
4) Roast at 395F for 30 minutes, basting half way through. Flip the bird onto its back and pour the beer/wine/broth/water over the breast.
5) Roast for another 60 minutes, basting with the pan juices every 15 minutes.
6) Test the breast for an internal temperature of 85C (185F). If the internal temperature has not been reached, the bird may need another 15 – 20 minutes of roasting.
7) Remove the bird from the pan and tent loosely with tinfoil. Rest for 20 minutes before carving.
8) Pour the fat off the pan-drippings, leaving behind the meat juices. Reserve the fat for another use, and use the meat juices to make your favourite sauce, or our Basic Poultry Gravy.
Serve with braised red cabbage and roast chestnuts for a traditional German supper.