- About Us
- Organic Meats
- Our Locations
POSTED ON: Feb 13 ,2020
It seems that the cold weather is wasting no time in gracing us with rainy days and cold nights. That can only mean one thing; it is time to stock up on soups and broths for those days where you need to kill a cold or even just to warm your soul. You can of course go to a large chain grocery store and buy yourself some chicken broth, but why not make your own? It isn’t that hard, and it tastes much better. Especially if you make it with organic chicken in Vancouver. So,let’s go through it step by step and talk about making organic chicken broth from scratch.
The recipe is just a guideline. The more broth you want to make, the more of the ingredients you will need. Here is what you will need for about 3 litres of broth:
• 1 large organic chicken
• 2 large onions
• 2 carrots
• 2 stalks celery
• 2 bay leaves.
• Some Rosemary and Thyme (Dried or fresh)
• Large stock pot
• Resealable jars
• Roasting tray
1) Preheat your oven to 350˚ F. Cut the chicken into parts and then put it on a roasting tray and put it in the oven.
2) Roast the chicken until the skin is crisp and the meat is nice and golden, then remove the chicken. Don’t worry if all the chicken isn’t cooked through.
3) Cut all the vegetables into large, manageable pieces.
4) Take the large stock pot, fill it with water. Put all the vegetables, chicken, herbs and spices into the pot and bring to a boil.
5) As soon as you see the water starting to boil, reduce the heat to a slow simmer.
6) If you want a clear broth, check to see if any froth rises to the top. Just skim it off with a spoon.
7) Simmer the organic chicken broth for two hours. Then remove from heat and strain.
8) Let the broth cool to room temperature and then transfer to the resealable jars.
If stored properly, organic chicken broth can last for weeks or longer, especially if it is frozen.
Now you have a batch of homemade chicken broth that you can use in soups, stews, and even for drinking.
There is a reason your mother fed you chicken soup when you were sick as a child. There healing properties of chicken broth are well documented. These health benefits are even more effective when the broth is made from organic chicken. So, if you want to go get some of the best organic chicken in Vancouver, try Pasture to Plate. They have two locations and they sell their own BC organic meats, including chicken. Go see them and stock up on broth, or get an organic chicken to make your own.