- About Us
- Organic Meats
- Our Locations
A simple, hearty stew that features our delicious pasture-raised beef. The key is to cook the onions slowly in order to bring out their natural sweetness.
1 kg yellow onions, cut in half and sliced
4 Tbsp rendered beef fat (or substitute ghee or neutral vegetable oil)
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 tsp caraway seeds
Zest of 1 lemon
1 kg organic grass-finished beef stewing meat, cut into 1 1/2″ to 2” cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
500ml beef bone broth or water
1) Gently sweat and caramelize the onions in the beef fat using a heavy-bottomed skillet or sauce pan. This will take 15 – 30 minutes.
2) When the onions begin to brown, add the garlic, paprika and caraway. Continue to sweat on medium low heat for another 5 minutes. Stir frequently and scrape the pan to prevent sticking.
3) Add the broth and cook everything loose from the bottom of the pan.
4) Let cool for a few minutes and transfer the contents to a blender. Add lemon zest and mix to a runny purée consistency, adding more broth or water to adjust the thickness.
5) Season the stewing meat with salt and pepper and transfer, along with the sauce, into an oven-proof pot with lid.
6) Cover and cook for 2 hours in a 350F oven, or in a slow cooker set on high, stirring once or twice, until the beef is tender.
Enjoy with spätzle, butter noodles, or gnocchi and a green salad.
Preparation time: 45 Minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours